Common butterbur, also known as Bog Rhubarb and Devil’s Hat, is a harmful invasive alien species, that spreads to new sites and through root pieces within yard waste or soil material. You can find more information on the common butterbur and its control methods on the Luontoportti and RHS -sites.
- Compost cut-off stems and leaf in your yard.
- Pack roots in a tightly closed double garbage bag. Take them to the sorting station as waste consisting of invasive alien species.
The waste belongs to the following waste type:Harmful invasive alien species
- Transportation of invasive alien species always includes a risk of spreading. Therefore, it is recommended that waste consisting of alien species is destroyed at site, if possible.
- Pack the invasive alien species thoroughly in a tightly closed double garbage bag.
- Take them to the sorting station as waste consisting of invasive alien species.
- Handle waste consisting of invasive alien species with extra care so that plant parts or eggs, that enable spreading, do not end up in the environment.
- Reception cannot be offered to mixed loads with both soil material and harmful invasive alien species (eggs, seeds, roots and branches). If you dig up the plant with root and soil all together, you must separate the plant parts from the soil material already at the site where the digging has been done. Please note that soil from areas where the Spanish slug is present may be transferred to other areas due to risk of spreading.
Please observe that it is recommended that the load with the invasive alien species, that have been packed according to the instructions, is covered with for example a hood or a cover during transportation. This minimises the risk for spreading.
Small loads of invasive alien species, that have been packed according to instructions, are received at all sorting stations free of charge. Large loads are received only at the Topinoja and Korvenmäki waste treatment centres and the reception applies only for loads without soil. Large loads do not need to be packed into garbage bags, thorough covering of the load during transportation is sufficient. Large amounts are received according to the price of burnable waste.
Waste treatment centre, Sorting station