The rugosa rose, also called the Japanese rose and ramanas rose, is a harmful invasive alien species, that spreads through seeds and through root pieces within yard waste or soil material. You can find more information on the rugosa rose and its control methods on the Luontoportti and Maine.gov -sites.
- Transportation of invasive alien species always includes a risk of spreading. Therefore, it is recommended that waste consisting of alien species is destroyed at site, if possible.
- Handle waste consisting of invasive alien species with extra care so that plant parts, that enable spreading, do not end up in the environment.
- Pack the rootstock and root pieces into a tightly closed double waste bag. Take it to the sorting station as waste consisting of invasive alien species.
- Pack the rose hips (seed pods/fruits) into the same double waste bag with the rootstock or in a plastic package, like a juice bottle, which can be tightly closed. Take these to the sorting station as waste consisting of invasive alien species.
- Stems without rose hips (seed pods/fruit) or root pieces do not need to be packed. Take them to the sorting station as twig waste.
- If you dig up the rugosa rose plant, rootstock and soil material all together, you must separate the plant parts from the soil material already at the site where the digging has been done. Reception cannot be offered to mixed loads with both soil material, roots and branches.
Please observe that it is recommended that the load with the invasive alien species, that have been packed according to the instructions, is covered with for example a hood or a cover during transportation. This minimises the risk for spreading.
Small loads of invasive alien species, that have been packed according to instructions, are received at all sorting stations free of charge. Large loads are received only at the Topinoja and Korvenmäki waste treatment centres and the reception applies only for loads without soil. Large loads do not need to be packed into garbage bags, thorough covering of the load during transportation is sufficient. Large amounts are received according to the price of burnable waste.
The waste belongs to the following waste types:Harmful invasive alien speciesTwigs
Waste treatment centre, Sorting station